Welcome to EpoS Wizard!

As you’ll no doubt have noticed if you’ve previously visited any time in the last decade or two, EPoS Wizard has undergone some quite drastic changes!

YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD
(See below if you are unable to receive a password reset request)

Read on »

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

NR-520R Programming PLU's

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes

Hello,

We have an NR-520R (approx 2 years old) and approximately 1000 Unique products in a Toy Shop, retailer.
We started initially with this to carry on a per department takings daily accounts, that has been the system going for almost 20 years; without having to use individual scanned products and a BarCode Scanner. (A lot of added hassle we thought)

So we are thinking of using a product called pointy. (Main launch at the moment is in the USA)
And to use that we need to be scanning products into the Till

So there are a few questions:
1) What software can we use to program products to barcodes on a laptop with prices and upload them to the till ?
I have seen this (EBAY Item 320453402763) but seems expensive, is there not any proprietary or open source software that could program this till ?
2) Is it worth even attempting this with this till or should we just look at a PC Based EPOS system and not try to program the NR-520R ?
3) What is the best scanner to use with this till, if we can easily program and update PLU's on the NR-520R or will any USB scanner do ?

Thanks in advance
Robert

3 Replies

If you're looking to set up a system with barcodes, and actually get any useful information out of it, then I'd strongly suggest you look at switching to a PC based system, such as ICR Touch.

the utility you have found on e-bay should not normally be sold!!!
the correct way to go is with the back office component - for sam4's - theres 2 flavours - 1 with stock control, one without - called samstock & samlight. However, if you thought the software you found on ebay was expensive, then you are going to have a stroke at this stuff!!!!

It does however offer everything you need in terms 0f stock management - best and worst sellers, low stock level items, generating shelf edge labels and also bar-code labels to name but a few.

"Pointy" sounds like a children's game - Whereas in terms of software, Samstock has been around for many years and is tried and tested.{i agree that ICRTouch is a better front end option, but you still need a back office solution than samstock already delivers and interfaces with what you already own}
All your products are entered via samstock then transferred to the cash register - its very simple.

The only issue i foresee is that the nr is a little under-powered for full blown scanning and you may run out of available memory - but then that will be the case with whatever utility you use.

in terms of q3, I have yet to make a usb scanner work on an NR and stick to rs232 communication - good quality single line scanner - such as the honeywell voyager or - for multiline, an Orbit scanner should be used.

USB scanners should really be only used on PC based equipment - using a cheap and cheerful one on the samstock end of your setup should work just fine.

Thanks for your help so far with this.
I tried to find somewhere selling SAMS Lite, so far I cannot, so no idea on pricing for it.

We wouldn't need granular stock control I am just trying to find a cheap way of somehow integrating Pointy (which is not a children's game btw) but does look like a good way for bricks and mortar retailers to leverage position on the internet without too much investment in time or money.

I guess one way of doing it without having to go down the PC based EPOS route would be to scan products to some software on a PC using the pointy device in the mix and continue with the manual method of taking money and ringing amounts into the NR Cash Register, a bit arse about face though.

If that was doable though all I would then need is a bit of software to continually collect scanned barcodes which I guess would be fairly simple.

Having written all that I think it may be worth going back to the Pointy People and asking some more questions.

Thanks Again

Share: