Welcome to EpoS Wizard!

As you’ll no doubt have noticed if you’ve previously visited any time in the last decade or two, EPoS Wizard has undergone some quite drastic changes!

YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD
(See below if you are unable to receive a password reset request)

Read on »

Peculiar experience...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Peculiar experience with new upgrade!

8 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes

I just had a reinstall done of 2 brand new machines with IcrTouch software and for the most part it was a smooth process.

However the next day I realised that both my now old 2016 machines both had their hard drives removed by the dealer, without being informed beforehand. This software was purchased from another IcrTouch dealer in 2016.

I rang the dealer and they said they had to return the Hard Disks to IcrTouch even though when they removed it - it was done sneakily away from myself and other staff members.

Does this sound like something ICR would insist on? Has anyone experienced this?

Regardless I will be pursuing this. The dealers could have removed the license or delete the software if it was such a issue but I will not be allowing my personal data to be compromised. Another issue is that those hard drives were my own special SSD drives that I bought from Amazon before getting my license so they are valuable pieces of hardware.
I also bought 2 x Windows Pro Licenses as well as having personal sales data on those machines dating back to 2012. I may have even been logged into my email still for all I know.

There are infinite amount of reasons why someone would not want their hard drive removed and it sounds fishy from a legal perspective with GDPR a big topic these days.

7 Replies

If the dealer has migrated the same ICR licence from the original machines to the new machines then they are quite correct - the original hard drives will need to be returned to ICR for verification and secure destruction. There is no way round this - otherwise it would be possible to effectively duplicate licences.

They should have told you in advance, and given you the option to pay full whack for new licences instead if you preferred, but there is no way round the return of the drives, regardless of how valuable they may appear to be to you personally.

They could have allowed you to clone the data of the two hard drives before returning them however - that way you could have kept your data.

Hi Simon thanks for your response.

It is 100% a new license and I'm sure off this as it's now a 6 digit license number whereas it was 5 digit beforehand.
Was just shy of a 5 digit sum for the whole installation so was definitely not skimping on costs.

Also for any avoidance of doubt they informed me during the installation that I can update this new version for longer as it's a brand new license number whereas older versions are limited to how long they can update.

It is definitely shady practice and I am considering my next move. Doubtful this is a rogue employee as CCTV shows both installers were discreetly removing the hard drive at different times.

I phoned the company today before posting and they seemed rattled but had the cheek to tell me it's because of Icrs procedures and because I bought a new license old one had to be destroyed. It didn't make sense to me at the time, hence my original post.

You need to get it in writing from them, documenting the old licence numbers and the new ones.

A '5 digit sum' for the installation of two tills sounds absolutely mental, unless they are gold-plated or there's a whole lot of other kit beyond the till system.

They may have done an upgrade/migration from the old licences to save themselves some money as that's cheaper than new licences, in which case they would have to return them as per my previous email.

I can't do anything officially, but if you can document that and as much detail as possible for me on PM then I will ask a question of someone and see where it goes.

Feel free to PM me if you like, probably better to keep some of the stuff off here.

Hi Simon.

I will see how it plays out on Monday. Surely ICR could just deactivate it remotely in this day and age?

Just think legally this whole process seems sketchy. Even Icr can't be sure what a dealer does with the hard drive between removing it and having it sent in. All my sales records and journals can easily be read and/or sold to a competitor.

Even if dealer had told me they were going to take the hard drive I would have refused to let them. I didn't even buy that license in 2016 from them.

Appreciate your swift response today in clarifying some points and will update accordingly.

Page 1 / 2
Share: