Welcome to EpoS Wizard!

As you’ll no doubt have noticed if you’ve previously visited any time in the last decade or two, EPoS Wizard has undergone some quite drastic changes!

YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD
(See below if you are unable to receive a password reset request)

Read on »

Choosing an epos ti...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Choosing an epos till......

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi all.

I'm asking for some advice on epos tills. I did do a search but the results were not very conclusive.

I own a 51 seater cafe/bar/restaurant (70+ with outside seating) and currently use a simple till and hand written checks.
I have decided to invest in 2 tills, 2 printers and cash draw. I have done research on tills but i'm stuggling with windows based systems against the casio style systems.

I was all set for a casio till set up but after visiting a trade show the other day i'm thinking the windows based systems may offer more like easier 'back office', 'dial in', 'customer loyalty' and easier to upgrate or switch out software. With that said though, i'm just not a fan of windows, its buggy, prone to viruses, freezes up and can take time to boot up! I just don't want to regret spending £XXXX buying a system that wont be future proof or offer what I need.

So all in all then, I'd like to know from people who use or have used both type of tills and any pros and cons and ultimately, what system I sould go for?

Thank you in advance,

Jake.

8 Replies
Prominent Member

Phew. How to answer that!
You'll find almost all pc based tills still use xp. It's proven and is fairly stable. You also have almost unlimited memory space for table tracking, customer accounts, sales records, etc. Also any communications is standard windows networking.
The downside is someone, no matter what you do, will find a way to go on the internet and download viruses, or even worse put itunes on it! Then there is the very big problem of someone just switching it off without closing down properly. Hard drives don't like that! I've seen one ruined in six months. Then there is the hassle of rebuilding the system.
Rom based machines can do almost all a windows based one can, the only limit is available memory. Although what you have would be well within the capabilities of one. Also you can buy software to communicate with the till to save your sales data, products, etc. Also you could make a copy of the entire machine so if the worst happened, you could download the entire program again. Also there is no problem with just switching off.
There are other pros and cons to each way you want to do it.
Just out of interest, which show did you go to?

Eminent Member

you want a windows CE based terminal as there are no viruses. ICRTouch is the only software i know of that runs on CE and they have wifi waiter pads that might be useful for your outside seating.

Hope this helps

Leigh :D

Prominent Member

Just to add to that, the Sharp X300's software runs on CE too, but, and it's a big but, not shutting down properly is even more of a problem with it.

Trusted Member

Hi,
We sell both PC and ROM units.
The Rom based units, the likes of the DX915 and AX300 Uniwells with Remote ordering terminals have been in use in Australia for a long time.
The advantage is that when you wish to upgrade, you only upgrade the ROM version, for example from version 1.10 to version 1.12.
The new ROM based updates are supporting Android based devices for communication back to the host, and all sorts of other features as well.
No issue with Virus's on a ROM based unit as you would have with a PC.

We sell PC based units, Windows CE platform, problem is, if the power goes out you have to factor in reboot time, lost information of the sale and hard drive failures, ( although slight but happens ).

Kind Regards
Paul

Page 1 / 2
Share: