Welcome to EpoS Wizard!

As you’ll no doubt have noticed if you’ve previously visited any time in the last decade or two, EPoS Wizard has undergone some quite drastic changes!

YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD
(See below if you are unable to receive a password reset request)

Read on »

24V Solenoid for ca...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

24V Solenoid for cash drawer

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Anyone know where we can purchase replacement 24v solenoid? I have a WAND cash drawer with a defective solenoid.

2 Replies
Topic starter

I found some shops online but it would be difficult finding the proper push/pull solenoid. Fortunately, I was able to resolve the problem. I had a shorted pair in the RJ11 6 pair cable between the printer and the drawer. The drawer would open and refuse to stay closed. It smelled like it was getting hot. I shut it down, pulled the cover so I could see the action and found that the solenoid was getting hot to the touch; ergo the shorted pair - I found 24V coming in on two wires instead of only the one. I cut the existing connectors off and put new ones on and found I had the same situation but for a different reason. I have 24V on only one pin but the heat from the short must have affected the pin movement. The solenoid is pulling the pin in to release the locking mechanism but the pin is not coming back out to put the locking mechanism back into the locking position so closing the draw will not lock it closed. I tried oiling the pin and exercising it but it will not come back out on it's own. I attached a wire between the locking mechanism attached to the pin and the latch that is attached to the drawer. Now when the drawer pops open, the wire pulls the pin out of the solenoid just before the draw reaches it's max open position. Kluge, I know, but it works. Only disappointment was that I could not fix it with DUCT tape!!!!

Reputable Member

This is common. The insert of the solenoid is plastic and has probably melted when you had the shorted turn. Now the slug in the middle gets stuck. Best to replace it or you may end up blowing up the solenoid drive circuit. There are many shapes and sizes used, so you may need to shop around. make sure the hole spacing is the same for a start and that the slug is the right length

Share: