Welcome to EpoS Wizard!

As you’ll no doubt have noticed if you’ve previously visited any time in the last decade or two, EPoS Wizard has undergone some quite drastic changes!

YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD
(See below if you are unable to receive a password reset request)

Read on »

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

beginner needs help

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 lyn
Topic starter

Hi all I am planning on opening a pet shop in the new year and am trying to work out costs. I was originally going to just get a cheap second hand till from ebay, but looking into it I'm not sure thats the best idea. I would like a till that uses a barcode scanner to put the stock through the till, but Im unsure how the till is programmed to recognise the barcodes of my stock and how I set the prices. Also I would like to produce shelf edge labels rather than hand price all of the stock, is there a way that the printer that produces the customer receipts can also produce a shelf edge label? I really dont know about the ins and outs of tills and dont want to buy one and realise its not right for my needs. Can anybody advise me or point me in the direction of an idiots guide to epos systems, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Lynn

1 Reply
Prominent Member

You are right. Don't buy the cheapest machine you can find. It'll just end up costing you more in the long run.
Depending on how many items you think you're going to stock, a mid range machine would do you. I'm going to use Sharp machines as an example, but other makes are available!
The Sharp ER-A420 is the first machine in the range that can scan barcodes and can also be linked to a back office software if you want that in the future. It's only drawback is a maximum of 1800 items. There are obviously other models which will do more.
As for inputting the items, you will have to program them all in, but once they are there that's it. If you buy from a dealer, and can get a csv file of your products from your suppliers, they should be able to put them in the machine for you. I know I used to do that. Plus they'll keep you right if you get stuck.

Share: