Welcome to EpoS Wizard!

As you’ll no doubt have noticed if you’ve previously visited any time in the last decade or two, EPoS Wizard has undergone some quite drastic changes!

YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD
(See below if you are unable to receive a password reset request)

Read on »

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

SPS 2000 psu blowing fuses

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes

Hi Folks,

Got in an SPS2000 today gone dead,when I opened I saw the power supply's 2Amp fuse was blown quite badly.I checked the main PCB and the screen,these seemed ok so I nicked a power supply from a working SPS2000 I had and the unit powered up ok so it looks like the power supply might be the problem.I changed the fuse on the original PSU hoping it might only be the fuse but no good, it blew the fuse again ? I tested the bridge rectifier and it seems to be ok but I only have a digital meter lB
Any thoughts or advice on this

Many thanks

2 Replies

an understanding of how switching power supplies works would help . there could be a multitude of things that could cause it - something has clearly failed short circuit. its impossible to "guess" - i would say its on the primary side - so theres the bridge, the 400v cap - [hope you know what you are doing] the switching mosfets - id start by using a super over rated fuse - but power the unit up from a bench power supply - see what warms up - but note - working components that are driving into a short will also be warm.
your dealer should be able to get a replacement for you. but its not cheap. ive made my own in the past [personal use only] but unless you really understand how they work and what output it delivers - i'd keep away from mains voltages.

Hi Andy,
Thanks for the reply. Putting a higher rated fuse is a great idea, i'll try that and maybe use a thermal camera to see what heats up. Thanks again for the advice.

Share: