Welcome to EpoS Wizard!

As you’ll no doubt have noticed if you’ve previously visited any time in the last decade or two, EPoS Wizard has undergone some quite drastic changes!

YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD
(See below if you are unable to receive a password reset request)

Read on »

Tranferring ICR tou...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Tranferring ICR touch License

9 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes

They might do this, but I don't know - for them to legally destroy a hard drive, and it's data, they have to provide proof of that by means of a data destruction certificate - this can't
just be something they make themselves - the drives would have to be sent to a certified organisation, who are compliant with various security standards.

My concern is, that regardless of how they destroy their customer drives, they are examining the data on those drives beforehand to verify that they are activated against the license that they're charging you to migrate to a new machine - they may well destroy the drives through a proper, certified organisation, but they still look at the drive before doing so, which in my opinion, doesn't feel right !Chin

It's just general good practice to not hand over data to, what is effectively, a random person at the end of the day - yes it's going to a business, but it's a person that then takes that drive and examines it. I would imagine that any larger chains using ICR Touch wouldn't be too chuffed about this, could be wrong, but that's coming from experience dealing with large organisation IT/InfoSec teams.

I may be wrong, as I don't work for ICR, but I doubt they actually look at the data on the drive.

If their process for checking was to simply look at the network.buf file on the drive then anyone could just copy that to any random drive, return that, and keep running the original one.

The license server looks at the drive serial number, so that's what they check when a drive is returned at every one every produced is unique. They can even check that on completely dead drives and SSDs.

However if you've that much of a concern then just pay for a full new license and keep the drive.

If that’s the case, then I guess it’s okay to wipe the drive before sending it off. This isn’t much of an issue if that’s the case.

I still personally don’t agree with them charging for activating the same license on a new machine, especially with them wanting the original drive back to validate that it is no longer in use - I don’t see (given the quote I’ve received), what they are possibly doing at their end to warrant it costing the amount it does.

I’m surprised there isn’t a way to remove a license from one machine, while it’s online, allowing ICRs licensing servers to validate that, resulting in it being able to be reused on a new machine.

I am in no doubt that a completely formatted drive would be acceptable to return to ICR. They will destroy it, I've seen them do it.

Page 2 / 2
Share: