Welcome to EpoS Wizard!

As you’ll no doubt have noticed if you’ve previously visited any time in the last decade or two, EPoS Wizard has undergone some quite drastic changes!

YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD
(See below if you are unable to receive a password reset request)

Read on »

Tranferring ICR tou...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Tranferring ICR touch License

9 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes

I read your forums look at all resources far and wide....

I purchase ICR touch in 2018 for 2 windows tills. I requested my license to be transferred as my hardware was failing. I installed everything on the new tills, paid the transfer licence fee for the two tills. Then to be told I need to send my hard drive to them, the one which has icr touch installed as this is ICR touch policy. This seems sketchy to me and reeks of GDPR infringement. Just looking for clarification from learned persons.

Also, can I go to any other dealer to have this done or can it only be done by my dealer. I hate to know I am hooked to a dealer if I am not happy with the service..and not able to move, feels scary and daunting.

I look forward to your reply at crossroads.

8 Replies

If the licence is a hard-drive type (which most new licences are now) then the dealer is correct. There is a charge for the migration which is less than the cost of a new licence, but it is on the condition that the old drive is returned to ICRTouch so they can verify then destroy it.

This is to avoid unscrupulous people from trying to use the same licence on multiple devices.

If you have already gone through this dealer to get the licences migrated then you must return the original drives to them so they can return them to ICRTouch. If they don't then they will be invoiced the cost of a full licence instead and will come after you for the extra.

Once you have finished with that there is nothing to stop you from seeking out another dealer for support going forward.

I read your forums look at all resources far and wide....

I purchase ICR touch in 2018 for 2 windows tills. I requested my license to be transferred as my hardware was failing. I installed everything on the new tills, paid the transfer licence fee for the two tills. Then to be told I need to send my hard drive to them, the one which has icr touch installed as this is ICR touch policy. This seems sketchy to me and reeks of GDPR infringement. Just looking for clarification from learned persons.

Also, can I go to any other dealer to have this done or can it only be done by my dealer. I hate to know I am hooked to a dealer if I am not happy with the service..and not able to move, feels scary and daunting.

I look forward to your reply at crossroads.

I’m going through the same thing at the moment - trying to transfer my license to new hardware. I have also been told that I may have return my hard drive. I don’t see how this is compliant with data protection laws. They also don’t own your hardware as a result of you purchasing a license - surely if they don’t have the facility in place to prevent people using the same license twice, that’s on them? Just as it is with Microsoft, hence them implementing functionality preventing that.

To be honest the whole having to pay for a license to be transferred to a new machine, I think, is very dodgy, and I don’t see how this is lawful, considering that you’ve paid for the license.

Don’t get me wrong ICR is great, but this is a bit weird in my opinion.

I’m intrigued to see what my dealer comes back with in terms of cost for the transfer itself.

Thank you, Simon, I appreciate your comments, I am not too happy with returning my hard drive, as what guarantee is the HDD is going to be destroyed or refurbished into a new license which I already paid for..., I also understand I need to leave all ICRtouch files as is in the system as well, so my sales data etc will be in there hands, in my view, this is not legal and I have engaged a GDPR representative to get some feedback on this.

The truth is my hardware will be dead and I will have to purchase an HDD to put in it in order to sell it, and I believe I should be able to sell my hardware if I choose to, to recover the money from it, but this way it seems a bit unfair and well grinds me to find a solution to it other than giving up my HDD. I have already have been able to do a workaround but it's not a clean method so I really would like to do it the proper way without having to give up my hard drive.

Guess I need to sleep on it.

Post edited...

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, but I have absolutely zero doubt that ICR are fully certified legally to process your drive, and keep full records as proof of the destruction of said drives.

They do not need to "refurbished into a new license" as they create their own licences. You have, indeed, paid for that licence - within certain limitations, which include the ability to only install it on one drive/machine etc.

I think, personally, that you are massively overthinking and worrying about the situation. If you're simply worried about having a drive to put in the old machine (which you have already said is failing) so that you can sell the hardware, then a Kingston 120GB SSD is only £20 on Amazon and is more than good enough for any EPoS machine. There's nothing to stop you cloning your original drive onto that before you send it back - of course the ICR software licence will no longer work on that machine as the drive ID will be different.

I do have to wonder how much you are spending on "engaged a GDPR representative" just to avoid having to send an old drive back though !what

Page 1 / 2
Share: