Welcome to EpoS Wizard!

As you’ll no doubt have noticed if you’ve previously visited any time in the last decade or two, EPoS Wizard has undergone some quite drastic changes!

YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD
(See below if you are unable to receive a password reset request)

Read on »

recommendation soug...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

recommendation sought - simple networkable cash register

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I would be most grateful to anyone who could recommend a cash register with the following qualities:
(a) networkable - either via an RS232 interface or via an Ethernet connection, and
(b) simple and inexpensive

In particular, the networking requirements are extremely modest: I just need to be able to feed a record of all transactions directly to a host on our network, either via an RS232 port or via the existing Ethernet.

It is particularly important that any information passed should be easily parsed and that there should be no need for any proprietary software. An stream of easily-parsed ASCII characters passed via RS232 would be ideal (although an XML or JSON message passed over TCP/IP would be no less useful).

Can anyone help?

John:)

7 Replies
Honorable Member

Boy, you are asking a lot. I have never found any which can do it. They almost all use their own hardware networking (neither RS232, nor ethernet) especially the low-end machines. Some can send basic reports to their own back office software, but do not conform to any standard file format.

You would be much better off if you use POS software instead of a hardware based machine.

Mark

Topic starter

Thanks Mark, I feared as much.

The world of cash registers and EPOS is entirely new to me. All I was hoping to find was a simple system to allow counter transactions in my credit union to be automatically transmitted in a form that could be uploaded (as a CSV file) to the CU management software. I've been advised to give up all hope of finding such a thing. 😉

Fortunately I have a backup plan.

John :)

Trusted Member

John

If you find a cash register with a remote pole display you maybe able to capture the data direct to your PC serial port instead of the pole display. You'll obviously get ESC codes ported to you PC but it shouldn't be too difficult to strip these out of the data. Running Hyperterminal on you PC will capture the data for you to test. I'm not familiar with CU Management but this may put you on the right track.

P.s Most of the Sam4s / Samsung range with a serial port have an interface to a Pole display.

Hope this helps.

Topic starter

Thanks

Page 1 / 2
Share: